Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Journey to becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer

I am sitting here in Philadelphia outside a restaurant enjoying my last true American meal replaying the steps that have taken me to this place. Tomorrow I enter pre-service training as a Peace Corps Volunteer. The application process to become a volunteer began at the beginning of July this past year when I decided the time had come to stop dreaming of this grand adventure and begin to pursue it. I would actually say that I started down this past many many more years ago as the kid who would run along bear inhabited trails in Alaska trying to tackle the greatest challenges and explore the furthest places. I can say one thing in life that God has certainly blessed me with is an Adventurous spirit!
After many months of waiting in the uncertainty of the application process and awaiting medical clearance (that's right all of those surgeries did not hold me back;) I received my invitation to become a Small Business Development Volunteer for The Peace Corps in the country of Cameroon in West Africa. I was thrilled to receive my invitation to serve in Cameroon for many reasons, one of them being that my Uncle Dean served in the Peace Corps years ago in Cameroon. I am just amazed at the fact that I have been placed in the same country as he volunteered.
I am excited for all that this opportunity has to offer me including the chance to offer my service to my country as well as the country of Cameroon. I hope that my time in Cameroon will prove to be a time of growth for myself and for those that I have the chance to work alongside. I would appreciate all of the prayers, support and encouragement that you can provide me throughout the next 27 months. I also want to thank each of you for being such an important part of my life. I can honestly say that I am surrounded by the most amazing individuals who love and care for me so well and who continually challenge me to reach outside myself and seek to leave the world around a better place. Thank you for being a part of my life and thank you for your support as I embark on this great journey!
God Bless and Take Care I will miss all of you tremendously!
~Ashley

3 comments:

  1. AShley, And you are an accompolished writer as well, thanks for including me and I will be praying for your safety and your fulfillment! Love, Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like just yesterday, you were working the receptionist position here at PECO.... Hard to believe you have graduated from college and are embarking on this adventure. I am so PROUD of you and look forward to all you will contribute to others. You are a special young lady, and I feel privileged and honored to know you.
    Love,
    -Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to visit Kribi by the coast. It used to have an old German built slow narrow gage railroad from Yaounde to Kribi. I took the train down one time and took a truck back during the rainy season. The roads get pretty rough as you probably know. The truck driver was expecting a big tip at the end of the trip but his boss was the husband of a volunteer and so we did not pay. We bounced on the dirt road for what seemed like 10 hours. You also will want to see the Adamaou Platateau prefecteure. In in you the the Peul / fulani who are the cattle herder who I worked with. The railroad was not built all the way from Yaound to Ngaoundere but I was there when the Italian engineering company Impregilio was building it. Hope your enjobing the experience. Best Regards
    Dean Johnson

    ReplyDelete